The majority of Christendom has no idea what it’s like to be a pastor. Pastors think a lot about the words they use, and about the words they hope others will use. I figure Letterman will never get around to this, so I’ve developed the list. In case you’ve ever wondered, here are some of the words pastors dream about hearing. Some of them are tongue-in-cheek; others are straight from the heart. I’m sure you can improve the list. (Post yours below.) Enjoy:
10. “Last week we read that the pastor who preaches and teaches is worthy of double honor, so we’re doubling your salary.”
9. “We’ve funded a line item to send your kids to college. There’s enough for each of them to attend Harvard. While we were at it, we’re paying for your doctorate – and for your wife to get her Masters degree.”
8. “The President’s secretary called. He wants you to do the Invocation for his inauguration. He told me he thinks you’re the next Rick Warren.”
7. “Look Pastor! Outreach Magazine put you on their cover this month!”
6. “Zondervan just called. They want to make your latest sermon series into a book. They’re pretty sure it will be a best-seller.”
5. “Pastor, your sermon last Sunday was better than Billy Graham.”
4. “You’re the godliest man I know.”
3. “We think you’ve earned a six month Sabbatical. The first three months will be in Hawaii. We hope you’ll use the other three months to write a book – which we’ll make sure gets published. We know you’ll be hard to replace in the pulpit, so we’ve convinced Chuck Swindoll to fill in while you’re away.”
2. “Every member of my family has come to Christ now, thanks to you.”
1. “Well done, good and faithful servant.”
Hal Seed is the founding and Lead Pastor of New Song Community Church in Oceanside, CA. Hal mentors pastors to lead healthy, growing churches. He offers resources to help church leaders at www.pastormentor.com.
If you enjoyed this post, sign up here to receive updates from Hal delivered right to your inbox.